This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Maid of honor duties checklist with 12 months timeline.
Congratulations! The bride has just picked you to be the maid of honor. Now that you’ve been given the honor of being the bride’s right hand woman, it’s time to know what your responsibilities are as the maid of honor.
Asides from planning the bridal shower and bachelorette party and also being responsible for the other bridesmaids, there are other responsibilities and duties for you as the maid of honor.
Wondering what other responsibilities you have as the maid of honor? Here is a checklist of maid of honor duties and responsibilities with 12 months timeline.
Maid of Honor Duties: 10 to 12 Months Before the Wedding
1. Send an engagement gift or card to the bride.
2. Help the bride look for venues/vendors (if needed).
3. Help the bride with dress shopping.
4. Help look for bridesmaid dresses.
5. Get to know other bridesmaids (and their schedule, availability etc.)
6. Have your measurements taken by a tailor/seamstress.
7. Brainstorm bridal shower ideas.
Maid of Honor Duties: 4 to 6 Months Before the Wedding
1. Purchase your dress.
2. Be familiar with the gift registry (and help inform guests about it).
3. Coordinate with bridesmaids and begin planning the bridal shower.
4. Brainstorm bachelorette party ideas.
5. Plan your hotel accommodation (if wedding venue is out of town).
Maid of Honor Duties: 3 to 4 Months Before the Wedding
1. Coordinate with bridesmaids and begin planning the bachelorette party
2. Help bride address invites.
3. Book flight (if wedding venue is out of town).
Maid of Honor Responsibilities: 2 to 3 Months Before the Wedding
1. Throw bridal shower.
2. Schedule alteration appointment for dress (if needed).
3. Schedule hair and makeup appointment (if needed).
4. Purchase shoes, jewelry and other accessories.
5. Look for wedding gift.
Maid of Honor Responsibilities: 1 to 2 Months Before the Wedding
1. Throw bachelorette party.
2. Research and write maid of honor speech.
3. Help the bride with any last minute errands (if needed).
Maid of Honor Roles: 2 to 3 Weeks Before the Wedding
1. Give the bride moral support as the big day approaches.
2. Prepare a wedding emergency kit for the bride and bridal party.
3. Have a wedding weekend checklist and inform all bridesmaids.
Maid of Honor Roles: One Week Before the Wedding
1. Be familiar with wedding schedule and help delegate tasks to the bridal party.
1. Get ready with the bride and bridal party.
2. Be a go-between for the bride and groom before the ceremony.
3. Arrange the bride’s train and veil when she arrives at the altar.
4. Hold the bride’s bouquet during the vow and ring exchange.
5. Hold the groom’s ring and hand it at the right time.
6. Sign the marriage license as a witness.
7. Help the bride change outfits (if needed).
8. Act as the host – greet guests and direct them to the right places.
9. Make sure the bride eats and stays hydrated.
10. Give the maid of honor speech.
11. Help the bride pack up things.
12. Help transport the wedding gifts from the reception.
13. Help with clean-up duties (if needed).