This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
It is no doubt that one of the most stressful part of starting a blog is choosing a blog niche. Choosing a blog niche requires a lot of brainstorming and considerations like who your audience are, what you are passionate writing about, whether you are knowledgeable in the particular subject matter and if anyone really is interested in what you want to write about.
When you realize that blogging is not about you but about your target audience, you will realize how important it is to choose a specific niche to write on. By choosing a specific niche, you are streamlining, therefore, focusing on feeding the needs of your target audience.
Not every blog has a niche, as some bloggers prefer to write about many things such as lifestyle, fashion, religion, sports amongst many others. There’s however, a debate that a blog should have a niche. There is the controversy over whether or not a blog must stick to a specific niche in order to be successful or make impact. While it is okay to have a website that cuts across many subject matters, it would be considered to have more credibility if such website focuses on building a niche. For example, having scattered or unspecific subject matter of niche can make it more difficult to build a dedicated audience as most search engine users go online in search of specific information.
In this post, we will discuss what niches are, why they are important, why you should choose a blog niche and the most profitable blog niches. So, let’s dig in!
What is a Blog Niche?
A blog niche refers to the specific area of interest which a blog supplies information about regularly. It therefore, becomes synonymous to the blog’s reputation amongst the target audience. Simply, this becomes what the blog is known for. A blog niche, simply put, can be considered as a carefully selected subject matter that you, as a blogger, is knowledgeable, passionate about, and most importantly, is relevant to your audience. There are several types of blog niches. For instance, you can decide to write about on sports, leadership, fashion, food, traveling, tourism, automotive, parenting, photography, business, health, movie criticism, science fiction, relationships, fitness, amongst several others.
It is important to note that being knowledgeable or passionate about a niche is not enough to write about that subject matter. You need to ask yourself if the niche is relevant. By relevance, it has to address what people are searching for. This is because it is no point writing about what people are not searching for.
Why Do You Need a Blog Niche?
Most bloggers are often faced with this question: “why do I need a blog niche?” here are a few reasons why you need a blog niche:
- To build credibility: Most people will return to or be referred to your site because of you have consistently showed thought leadership and authority in a particular subject matter. Your website or blog becomes a stable source of information in a particular area of daily individual or social life.
- To increase organic traffic to your website: The more people know your website consistently offers credible content on particular topic, the more they visit for information and the more traffic you get to your website.
How to Choose Your Blog Niche
There are several things to consider when you want to choose a blog niche, and these factors depend on your motive or purpose for blogging in the first place. For example, if the purpose for starting your blogging is money or profit, then you have to choose profitable blog niche but if you just blog to build a robust online presence, then you have to go for a blog niche that has a highly searched subject matter that draws the interest of a lot of people. Here are some things to consider before choosing your blog niche:
1. Write about what you are passionate about
It’s easy to start blogging but passion sustains a durable blogging experience. Write for a target audience, write on what you’re knowledgeable about and ensure you have passion for what you are writing about. While blogging can be an interesting adventure, it also requires a level of commitment that can only be sustained by passion, and that explains why most people quit blogging – because they are not even passionate about what they write about. The combination of these three factors will successfully help you to chose a blog niche for your website.
2. Choose a blog niche that people are searching for
When choosing a blog niche another thing to consider is if your blog niche has enough people searching for articles in that blog niche daily. You should not just choose a blog niche you are passionate about, you should also choose a blog niche that has enough traffic. If you write about something you are passionate about but don’t have people reading about it then it will be hard for you to make money from that niche.
3. Choose a niche that you can monetize
Having a niche that has a huge traffic does not necessarily mean the niche can be monetized. Bloggers monetize their blogs using different methods the most popular ways a blog can be monetized is through affiliate marketing, displaying ads, selling products, online courses, freelancing, sponsored posts. You should choose a blog niche where you can use 2 or 3 methods of monetization as not all monetization methods are created equally. It is relatively easy to display ads on your blog but you need a lot of traffic to make money from it.
Most Profitable Blog Niches
There are several motives for blogging, but in this modern and digitalized decade most people blog to make profit. That is why in this section we have carefully put together a list of profitable blog niche you can write on in 2021. So, let’s dive in.
1. Food Blog
First on the list of the most profitable blog niche in 2021 is the food blog niche. The food blog niche is one of the leading blog niches that drives most traffic on search engines like Google and YouTube. If you’re considering starting up a food blog niche, here are some great ideas you can write on;
- Food recipes
- African dishes
- Intercontinental dishes
- Healthy food recipes for nursing mothers
- Dish ideas for family vacations
Monetization Strategy: Display of ads, affiliate marketing, selling products such as recipe book etc.
This is another interesting blog niche as it often cuts across various subject matters that influence the way we live our lives other interesting subjects that directly affects the lifestyle of the audience.
Blog ideas on lifestyle could be about dressing, food, culture among several others.
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, freelancing, display of ads
3. Personal Finance / Making Money Online Blog
Writing about money is a good way to get the attention of search engine users to your website, as almost everyone will be interested in reading about how to make more money. Here are some blog ideas on finances you can write about;
- How to make money blogging
- How to identify liability and assets
- Financial education: Potentials and opportunities in investing
- Top freelancing skills that sells in 2021
- How to Start a Blog
- Starting an Online Business
- How to Make Money Online
- Digital Marketing
- Business Tips
- Business Opportunities & Ideas
- Human Resources
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, freelancing, display of ads, course creation, selling products etc.
4. DIY and Crafts
People love crafting, organizing and making DIY projects. Most DIY and crafts blog write about home organization, DIY decoration ideas, sewing tips, games for family and kids, party ideas and more.
Here are some blog ideas you can write on in this niche;
- DIY Farmhouse Decor for Easter
- How to de-clutter your home in 30 days
- DIY bridal shower party games
- Best Decor for your next party
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, display of ads, selling your crafts, selling digital products e.g. home management planner, baby shower games etc.
5. Parenting/ Mom Blog
We all want to be the best parents to our children. Parenting blogs are becoming more popular by the day.
If you are starting a parenting or mom blog, here are some blog ideas you can write on in the sport niche;
- Kid activities/learning
- Exercise for kids
- Kid fashion
- Kid organization
- All about lunch kits and/or backpacks (this is a niche mamas!)
- Mental health as a parent
- Organization mom hacks
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, freelancing, display of ads, selling products e.g. kids activity pack etc.
6. Technology and Gaming
Technology is fast evolving and it is influencing almost everything we do as humans. Therefore there are countless blogs published daily on technology and gaming as the niche also has wide readership among youths. Some interesting blogging ideas on technology and gaming are;
- Laptop Reviews
- Cloud computing
- Best Cameras for making YouTube videos
- Digital transformation
- Digital marketing
- How to set up PS4 or PS5 console among others.
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, display of ads etc.
This is another blogging niche to consider if you have vast knowledge about tourism, best vacation and recreation spots around the world. Most people enjoy reading about places they’ve never been to or places that fascinates them. Here are some travel blog ideas you can write about;
- Best holiday spots to spend with family
- Best tourist attractions in Australia
- Best places to eat in Peru
- Things you should not do when on a tour in South Africa, among several others.
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, freelancing, display of ads, selling products e.g travel guides etc.
8. Health and Fitness
Health and fitness blog niche is a popular and widely read subject matter or area of interest on most search engines. Regardless of someone’s profession, we are all interested in knowing how to maintain a healthy and fit body.
Here are some blog ideas you can write on in health and fitness niche.
- Weight loss/diet blogs – these include blogs either giving dieting information or a personal journal of weight loss. Most people enjoy reading about healthy eating habits and they find that most times on weight loss or diet blogs. Weight loss and diet blogs has a wide readership among both young and old adults across various spheres of life.
- Healthy living and food blogs – these include blogs that are more focused on food, showing pictures or recipes.
- Running blogs – these include blogs of runners out there blogging their runs, training, and everything related to running. Most contents on this blog niche address how to keep the body fit through regular exercising and maintaining a fit body hygiene.
- Training blogs – these include blogs about training tend to be more informational blogs teaching you how to train and giving workout advice.
- Fitness professionals – these include blogs from personal trainers, coaches, etc. who share information and sell their training services. Everyone wants to know how to stay fit and lose weight and most importantly maintain the perfect body size. That’s why there are many blog posts published by different authors on how to keep the body fit through exercising and by observing healthy diet routine.
- Healthy living blogs – these include blogs that contain information about all aspects of being healthy. There are several contents in this particular blog niche as there are many conversations on how to live and sustain a healthy lifestyle for youths, teenagers and adults.
Monetization Strategy: Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, display of ads, selling products e.g. books, supplements etc.
There are several benefits of choosing or having a blog niche as it will go a long way in building your website or brand’s reputation, credibility and authority in any give industry. While there are several motives that drives choosing a blog niche, this post explored some profitable blog niche ideas that you can blog on.
While there are more blogging niche than those shared on this post, the ones shared are however, part of the leading profitable blog niche in 2021. To have a more successful blogging experience it is important to first, write to choose a blog niche you are passionate about with a lot of traffic and that is easy to monetize, the combination of these three tips will help you in choosing a profitable blog niche.
Cheers to a successful blogging experience!